Thursday, February 3, 2011

Work Management and the Need to Jump Through Hoops

If you've ever been to the circus you've seen what I'm about to describe. A trainer walks into the center ring followed by several dogs who proceed to run up skinny ramps, up and down teeter-totters and jump through hoops. Unfortunately, the circus isn't the only place I've seen this.

I was talking with a colleague the other day, and she suggested that 25-55 percent of most project requirements are unnecessary. In my opinion, she is in a position to know. Her job is to consult with project leaders and project management vendors all over the world. I must admit, although I personally believed that many project managers are compelled to force their teams to jump through a lot of hoops for "process" sake, I didn't think it was that bad.

I myself have been forced to jump through what appeared to be meaningless hoops from time to time. What's more, unlike the dogs at the circus, the hoops I was forced to jump through weren't even for the entertainment of others (at least I hope they weren't). I wonder how many of us have lost our way in the morass of process and lost track of the fact that projects are the vehicle we use to accomplish something. The processes we use should serve to make the complicated world of projects easier to navigate, not more convoluted and complicated.

I have often felt like we implement complicated processes for the sake of process—when much of the work we do doesn't require such a heavy burden. Of course there are times when formal processes and governance are required for project success. However, it is incumbent upon us as project leaders to weigh the value of process against the value of providing value to our organizations quickly and often.

I suggest we consider a more flexible leadership approach. A simple project, that consists of a dozen or so simple steps in a "to do" list, neither diminishes the value of the project nor the skills of the project leader. In my opinion, the simplest solution that produces the most value is often the best. And, the project leader who recognizes that is worth his or her weight in gold.

By: Ty Kiisel, Manager Social Outreach and AtTask


No comments:

Post a Comment